Environmental Policy and Radiation Safety
TENEX’s environmental policy is implemented in accordance with the requirements of the international and local legislation and aimed at assuring safe conditions for export-import deliveries of nuclear fuel cycle (NFC) products within the territory of the Russian Federation as well as outside of it.
The basic principles of TENEX’s environmental policy are:
- ensuring strict observance of norms and requirements in the field of nuclear and radiation safety;
- transparency of TENEX activity and informing suppliers of significant environmental aspects;
- monitoring of NFC product manufacturing companies and transportation and logistics service providers’ activities associated with significant environmental aspects;
- placing priority on preventative measures to reduce the risk of adverse environmental impact.
TENEX’s environmental policy requires:
- comprehensive analysis of environmental aspects of the activity associated with the deliveries of NFC products;
- improving the environmental management system;
- improvement of the ecological knowledge and culture of TENEX’s employees as well as the ones of its subsidiaries;
- interaction with the state regulatory agencies and non-governmental ecological organizations, including charitable support of environmental programs and projects.
As part of the environmental policy, the Company has developed a system of goals, objectives and indicators aimed at minimizing the risks of adverse environmental impact.
TENEX’s radiation safety activities are carried out in accordance with the conditions of the license granted by the Federal Service for Environmental, Technological and Nuclear Supervision (Rostechnadzor) for nuclear material handling during their transportation.
The Company carries out transportation of products in the special fully compliant transportation packages, which were granted with Russian certificate-permits for the package design and transportation, as well as with national certificates of destination countries. TENEX controls the timing and validity of the contents of certificate-permits. It also makes sure that Russian suppliers have Rostechnadzor licenses for activities in the field of nuclear energy use and plans of potential transport accidents’ consequences elimination.
Distribution of loss and damage risk caused to third parties when transporting nuclear material in possession of the Company is set in the corresponding contracts with contractors.
To maintain the supply chain safety, the Company includes special conditions in the contracts signed with its contractors. According to them, the contractors are responsible for nuclear and radiation safety during the transportation and transit storage of nuclear materials; it is carried out on the basis of the relevant legislation as well as of the federal and sectorial standards and rules.